Thursday, July 12, 2012

One Year Anniversary

Photo: Jpost.com




One year ago today, I sat on a plane making its descent into Ben-Gurion airport. My dream of a lifetime was coming true. There are really no words to describe how I felt. As prepared as I thought I was, I was beginning a new life, full of uncertainty. The way things have “fallen” into place for me in the past 12 months have been nothing short of miracles from G-d. Living in Israel is an amazing, wonderful thing, filled with frustrations, bureaucracy, and “that’s not how they do it in America”. It’s hard to get used to a new language, new culture, new people, new job, new medical system, etc. But the benefits and rewards have been immense. I will probably struggle with the language forever, but my Hebrew has vastly improved, and I think I’ve managed to get by in all situations. [Just don’t ask me to call my cellphone company! :)] 


I am sitting and watching the live webcast of the latest Nefesh B’Nefesh charter flight, exactly one year after my aliyah, and I am overflowing with emotions. The tears started not 30 seconds after I started watching. I know exactly how these people feel. And I am so grateful I’m on the other side! 


If you want to get a taste for how I feel, and why my FaceBook posts are (generally) so upbeat, please go read this.


Yes, there is an ache in my heart for my family and friends back in the US, but it’s nothing like the ache my heart was feeling to come home. 


As my friend Rachel said “Aliyah is not about running away, but running towards what is good and right.” 


It’s been the most amazing year, in so many ways, and I can’t wait to keep living the dream!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We miss you so much but are so happy that you are finally home!!!! Too many more wonderful years in the land that is ours!!!

Gila Rose said...

Love it!!!!

RaggedyMom said...

So glad we get to experience this amazing journey on parallel tracks! Looking forward to even more amazing brachot in our lives here!

Unknown said...

So happy for you! There is nothing more memorable than the first year. You will always remember all the happenings and details :)

Lisa said...

So happy for you! Keep posting pics & blog posts-they are great!